Monday, August 3, 2009

Self evaluation: blog traffic transparency

Since the inception of this blog nearly two years ago, it has undergone three major aesthetic overhauls and countless changes to it's content focus. There have been few alterations since the Summer of 2008, which prompted me to compare the actual traffic performance of today to my initial goals.

With majority thanks to Google Analytics and the input from insightful subscribers, I was able to uncover some interesting facts about what people find most interesting, the relevancy of my content, and how traffic is directed here. In honesty, my first post was for a college class, discussing the possibility of Facebook releasing an IPO. Today, with the title "The Social Media Institute," my blog has evolved into a home for my thoughts on optimizing the opportunities inherent in engaging the world through digital mediums.

In short, how to use the Internet to reach people.

For transparency's sake, I have published an 11 month web traffic report for your viewing/downloading pleasure. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have, and welcome thoughtful feedback. Leaving a comment, @ reply/DM me on Twitter, or send me an e-mail at pauljmatson (at) gmail (dot) com.

Google search results:
About 52% of my overall traffic comes from organic search results on Google, Yahoo and other search engines. I currently hold the top five listings for the following entries (test them yourself!):

  1. abercrombie and fitch media (ranked #1) ... I'm still a little shocked at this one.
  2. how to keep people interested (ranked #1)
  3. a dying father (ranked #1)
  4. best twitter application (ranked #2)
  5. GPA vs experience (ranked #1)
  6. strategically obnoxious (ranked #1)
  7. no such thing as an expert (ranked #2)
  8. social media institute (ranked #3)
  9. how to pitch using social media (ranked #4)
  10. paul matson (ranked #1) ... I hold the top 3-4 spots on a given day.
Top referring sites:
After publishing a new post, I typically post it to Twitter, PROpenMic.org, my Delicious page, Instant Messenger away message, Facebook, and LinkedIn. E-mail subscriptions included, of course. These are the top site ten web site referrals that are not from search engine traffic.
  1. Twitter
  2. Facebook
  3. Blogger
  4. PROpenMic
  5. ohiouprssa.org
  6. iphone.facebook.com
  7. beingcheryl.com
  8. LinkedIn
  9. researchgoddess.wordpress.com
  10. tonysylvester.blogspot.com
Global visitors (89 counties):
  1. United States (4,300 visits)
  2. United Kingdom (227 visits)
  3. Canada (149 visits)
  4. Austrailia (63 visits)
  5. India (51 visits)
  6. Germany (38 visits)
  7. Phillipines (31 visits)
  8. Netherlands (30 visits)
  9. Colombia (22 visits)
  10. France (21 visits)
Most popular posts:
  1. The best Twitter applications
  2. What and When to Tweet
  3. Welcome to the Abercrombie & Fitch Emergency Department and Trauma Center
  4. Who will hire me? GPA vs. Experience
  5. Five ways to keep up with social media
  6. 7 ways to keep people interested
  7. How to pitch using social media
  8. Twittiquette
  9. Get noticed through Facebook
The full report:
Traffic report

0 reactions:

Post a Comment | Feed



 
^

The Social Media Institute
original page design by Paul J. Matson
Creative Commons License